My first Halloween out of college felt weird to me. I no longer had people to participate in group costumes with, I struggled finding time to look for/make a costume with work and other life events, and a huge snowstorm almost ruined my Halloween plans. Luckily, I came up with a cute idea for another DIY costume which was simple to make and got a lot of attention. Who doesn’t love tootsie rolls?
Tootsie Roll Halloween Costume DIY
What You’ll Need:
- a brown dress or tube/tank top and leggings
- brown shoes (I wore my old UGGs to keep warm)
- a package of white iron-on letters (and an iron)
- 3-4 feet of 1-2 inch thick red ribbon
- 3-4 feet of 1-2 inch thick lace ribbon or white frilly fabric
- a hot glue gun OR a needle and thread
1. Center the letters on your brown dress/top so they read “Tootsie Roll” sideways.
2. Iron the letters on carefully, making sure they are straight and even as you go.
3. Trim the white lace/fabric to fit around the top and bottom of your garment. This will be the outermost wrapper/ends of the candy. Hot glue or sew the lace onto the garment.
4. Repeat step 3 with the red ribbon/fabric right above and below the white lace for the red stripe on the tootsie roll wrapper.
I couldn’t find a brown tube top dress in October (go figure), so I wore a tight brown tank top, brown leggings and brown UGG boots for my base. I used a hot glue gun because it was easier and I found the lace and ribbon hard to sew since it was so delicate. For extra points, bring a bag of Tootsie Rolls with you to the party/bar!
Tim Tebow and I
PeeWee Herman, Greek goddess, watermelon and Tootsie Roll