You’ve probably read about the benefits of consuming products containing mushrooms, like mushroom coffee or mushroom supplements. But what about skincare products containing the ingredient?
Mushrooms have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for a long time, and are often known for their anti-inflammatory properties. You’ll see a range of mushroom types in skincare products, including — but not limited to — reishi, shtitake, chaga, and cordyceps.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of mushroom for skin, as well as some products to try containing the superstar ingredient.
Benefits of Mushroom for Skin
- Improvements in facial wrinkles. This study showed facial wrinkle improvement from veratric acid from cauliflower mushroom. The findings also suggests the acid’s potential use in UV-induced premature skin aging.
- Improves the skin barrier. In this study, doctors discovered that beta-glucan, found in mushrooms, helped improve the skin barrier, making it particularly attractive to those with sensitive skin.
- Can help lighten skin/correct hyperpigmentation. This study found that mushrooms are a natural way to treat hyperpigmentation and lighten skin.
- Can help combat aging. Dr. Andrew Weil For Origins™ Mega-Mushroom line of products was one of the first to tackle aging, which this study calls out.
- Reduce the severity of inflammatory skin disease. Mushrooms are largely known for their antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory potential, making them very versatile and multi-functional cosmetic ingredients.
Best Skincare Products with Mushroom
Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins™ Mega-Mushroom Weightless Hydrating Moisturizer – This unique product contains reishi and fermented chaga mushrooms to help visibly reduce redness and restore resilience. It also boosts 48+ hour hydration!
KORA Organics Milky Mushroom Gentle Cleansing Oil – This certified organic cleansing oil contains silver ear mushroom to moisturizes skin. You can also recycle the glass bottle after cleaning out any remaining product.
Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins™ Mega-Mushroom Relief & Resilience Soothing Cream This soothing cream contains reishi mushroom, which helps improve health and promote longevity. Reishi also possesses potent skin-soothing properties and is used to calm, comfort, and help reduce visible redness in skin.
Well People Revitalizing Dew Snow Mushroom Eye Gel-Cream – This gel-based eye cream moisturizes the delicate eye area and targets fine lines for a bright, radiant appearance. Specifically, it contains snow mushroom, which is a hydrating superhero that plumps & binds moisture to skin.
VOLITION Snow Mushroom Water Serum with Peptides + Vitamin C – This serum is powered by the superfood snow mushroom to leave skin visibly plumper and healthier looking. The precise dropper allows for targeted application, too.
Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi – This cream contains fermented reishi, which works to hydrate, detoxify, and combat premature signs of aging.
Best Makeup Products with Mushroom
Tarte Face Tape Full Coverage Vegan Foundation – While mushroom is more so found in skincare products, Tarte often combines skincare with their face makeup products (like in this foundation). It’s very full-coverage, comes in over 30 shades, and is/was actually the 1st ever beauty mushroom infused foundation on the market.